While the criminal law system works to punish those responsible for the crime with a jail sentence, your Albany crime victim lawyer could hold them and other liable parties accountable through a civil lawsuit. The money you obtain can go toward paying for your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses you’ve incurred.
Speak with the Shrable Law Firm, P.C. to learn more about how we may be of assistance. Contact us online or call (229) 349-6291 for a free case evaluation.
Types of crimes
Victims can file lawsuits stemming from many different kinds of criminal acts. For example, if someone assaulted you in a parking lot, you might be able to sue the property owner for negligence. The parking lot might have been in an area notorious for criminal activity, yet the property owner failed to provide adequate security such as security guards or proper lighting.
If you were hurt in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, you could sue them for your losses and you could possibly sue the bar or restaurant that was responsible for over-serving that driver and allowing them to drive away from the restaurant.
There are lots of potential ways you could get money for your injury. An Albany personal injury lawyer with Shrable Law Firm can tell you more about your options based on the facts of your case.
Steps to take if you are a victim of a crime
Experiencing any sort of criminal attack is obviously traumatic. But you’ll need to take action to not only ensure your health but also to achieve justice. Please keep the following in mind:
- First, call the police immediately to report what happened.
- See a doctor so they can give you a thorough examination.
- Talk to an attorney who can investigate the incident and explore potential avenues for compensation.
Compensation you may be entitled to
You’ve likely sustained physical, mental, and emotional injuries and trauma due to the crime and have received extensive medical treatment. There’s also a good chance you’ve used all your sick and vacation days and you can’t work due to the impact of your injuries. An attorney can work to help you obtain compensation to pay for these and other types of damages and financial losses.
Advocacy for victims’ rights with effective legal counsel
If you have an attorney working on your behalf, you’ll also have someone fighting to make sure your rights are protected at every turn. You shouldn’t have to bear the burden of paying for the medical expenses that were caused by someone else’s criminal act.
The personal injury attorneys with Shrable Law Firm are passionate about accountability and protecting all the rights and interests of our clients. We will fight for the compensation you need to cover your expenses, reducing the burdens you feared you would bear after your injuries.
Your Albany personal injury lawyer can also help direct you to resources and professionals who can provide additional support such as access to support groups and therapy.
Counseling, support, and resources for crime victims
While you should take action to obtain financial recovery, you should also be mindful of your emotional health and recovery. Thankfully, there are many different resources available to Georgians locally and statewide to provide the counseling, support, and other assistance you might need.
- The Crime Victims Advocacy Council is a non-profit organization that works with local, state, and federal partners to provide crisis intervention, support groups, assistance with filing for victims’ compensation, and education regarding the criminal justice system. CVAC can provide county-specific referrals for the services you might need or be interested in.
- You may be able to obtain limited compensation through the Georgia Crime Victims Compensation Program which provides money to eligible crime victims to help pay for their medical expenses, lost income, counseling, and more.
- Although we encourage seeking support and assistance from the agencies available to you, the American Counseling Association provides literature and articles regarding emotional and mental trauma and ways to face and address your feelings and trauma, including anxiety. Their articles might help you learn more about the ways you might want help.
Call us if you or a loved one has been the victim of a crime
The above resources can be a great start for working toward recovery, but your best chance of financial recovery is by hiring an Albany crime victim lawyer. Learn more about what Shrable Law Firm can do for you by contacting us online or calling (229) 349-6291.
Wrongful Death Claim
Albany Personal Injury Lawyer
Albany Office Address
Address : 127 N. Westover Blvd. Ste 3 Albany,