• Home
  • FAQ
  • How do you fix an incorrect police report?

How do you fix an incorrect police report?

When you have been involved in a car accident, proving liability based on a preponderance of the evidence is crucial if you hope to obtain a favorable outcome in your case. For this reason, you may be interested in obtaining as much evidence as possible to support your right to compensation. 

When reviewing copies of your police report, if you find mistakes or errors, it may be necessary to make adjustments. If you are wondering how you fix an incorrect police report, it is important to get in touch with the appropriate local law enforcement officials. Your Albany car accident lawyer with Shrable Law Firm, P.C. can take over these responsibilities on your behalf so you can devote more of your time towards healing.

how do you fix an incorrect police report

Requesting changes to a police report after an accident 

You may be unsure whether it is worth the effort to make changes to a police report after a car accident. However, since police reports can have a substantial impact on the insurance company or jury’s decision to approve or deny your claim, making sure the information contained within this report is accurate is crucial. 

This is particularly true if certain details contained within the report are subjective or in dispute. Factual errors may be easier to address, but you should be prepared to have your car accident attorney step in and provide law enforcement officials with the details they need to make the changes you are requesting. To get the inaccurate police report information fixed, you should:

Gather supporting evidence at the accident scene 

We have been asked time and again, “How do I make changes to a police report against me?”. One of the best ways to accomplish this goal is to make sure you have evidence that supports your case. 

If you have photos of the accident scene, video footage of the collision, or physical documentation of the information that needs to be updated, this will allow law enforcement officials to grant your request more quickly than they would be able to if this information is in dispute.

Hire an Albany car accident lawyer 

You can also take steps to hire an Albany car accident attorney who can help you gather the evidence you need to get this incorrect information fixed. You may be intimidated by the thought of contacting law enforcement officials to request changes, particularly when you are still recuperating from your injuries. 

However, your lawyer will have experience in these legal aspects, so you can focus on healing while we work on gathering the evidence we need to prove negligence and liability for your damages.

Contact law enforcement for help 

The law enforcement agency that filed the initial report is who you should reach out to correct any inaccuracies. Usually, the police officer that made the report will be able to make such changes. 

You can make an appointment with the police officer and provide them with the additional evidence you have to support your claims. Then, they can make changes and file an amended report that details the accurate information you need.

Meet with an Albany car accident lawyer today

Inaccurate information on your police report could have a devastating impact on your ability to prove liability for your damages and get the most out of your claim. Thankfully, by contacting the right law enforcement authorities, you can get these changes fixed so the right information is available as evidence in your car accident claim. 

Do not hesitate to contact an experienced Albany car accident lawyer with Shrable Law Firm, P.C. when you need help building a compelling case against the liable party. Schedule your 100% free consultation as soon as today when you call us at (229) 349-6291 or fill out our quick contact form.

Free Case Review

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Wrongful Death Claim


Accident victim passed away as a result of the combined carelessness of the driver or her vehicle and the driver of another vehicle.

More FAQ'S

Albany Office Address

Address : 127 N. Westover Blvd. Ste 3 Albany,
GA 31707

Phone: (229)-349-6291

reviews from our injury clients

Latest From Our Resources
Who pays for medical bills while my car accident case is pending? In Americus, Georgia, you are responsible for paying for your medical bills from car accident-related injuries while your case is pending, even if the accident wasn’t your fault. Although you are initially responsible for your medical costs after a car accident, you may get them covered by your health insurance, by your auto insurance, or you can ask the medical provider for financial assistance such as a payment plan or if they will work on a lien placed on your settlement or jury award.