• Home
  • FAQ
  • What should I do if my abusive ex is threatening me and/or my children?

What should I do if my abusive ex is threatening me and/or my children?

With my ex harassing me, what can I do to protect myself?

Harassment in family court is not unusual. When child custody disputes and divorce tear families apart, you may be wondering what steps you should take if your abusive ex is threatening to harm you or your children. 

Fortunately, with help from an experienced family lawyer in Albany, you can protect yourself and your children from harm and get the support you need from the family court system. Here are the steps you should take when you are ready to regain control of your life and start moving forward.

ex harassing me

What counts as harassment from an ex?

What constitutes harassment by an ex-spouse? Any type of physical abuse, stocking, verbal abuse, or threats could be considered harassment. Depending on the circumstances of your court case, these threats and harassment could be considered a violation of your custody agreement.

If you have concerns that your ex may physically harm you or your children, you need to reach out to your family law attorney and the authorities to document your concerns and take steps to protect yourself and your children. From there, we can determine whether obtaining a restraining order or order of protection is in your best interests.

By obtaining a restraining order, we may be able to get a court order that states your ex is not allowed to communicate with you in any way, be within so many feet of your home or work, and remove them from the family home.

How to prove harassment from an ex

The court will not grant an order of protection or a restraining order on your word alone. You should be prepared with substantial evidence that can show your ex is threatening, harassing, or abusing you or your children. If possible, document the day and time the threats occur, take screenshots of text or social media messages, and include the names of any witnesses to the threats or harassment in question. 

Be sure to save as much evidence as you can so the judge can immediately see that your concerns are valid and take action to protect you and your children.

How to stop harassment and threats

Your options may be limited when it comes to stopping threats, harassment, and abuse. Your ex may not be open to you voicing concerns as the voice of reason. Fortunately, when you file an order of protection request, you may be able to get a temporary or permanent order in place. If the judge believes you or your children are in immediate jeopardy, they may immediately issue an order which could result in criminal charges if your ex violates the order.

You might also be able to get the judge to order you and your ex to participate in counseling, where they might be able to get the legal and emotional support they need to stop engaging in such harmful behaviors.

Get help from an Albany family law attorney today

If your abusive ex is harassing or threatening to harm you or your children, you do not need to stand for it. You can take action against them and protect your family when you reach out to a compassionate and experienced Albany family law attorney with Shrable Law Firm, P.C. 

Learn more about the steps you must take to obtain protective orders and other caught actions when you contact our office for a confidential consultation. You can reach us through our online contact form or by phone at (229) 349-6291 to start working on your case as soon as today.

Free Case Review

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Wrongful Death Claim


Accident victim passed away as a result of the combined carelessness of the driver or her vehicle and the driver of another vehicle.

More FAQ'S

Albany Office Address

Address : 127 N. Westover Blvd. Ste 3 Albany,
GA 31707

Phone: (229)-349-6291

reviews from our injury clients

Latest From Our Resources
Who pays for medical bills while my car accident case is pending? In Americus, Georgia, you are responsible for paying for your medical bills from car accident-related injuries while your case is pending, even if the accident wasn’t your fault. Although you are initially responsible for your medical costs after a car accident, you may get them covered by your health insurance, by your auto insurance, or you can ask the medical provider for financial assistance such as a payment plan or if they will work on a lien placed on your settlement or jury award.