• Home
  • FAQ
  • What’s the penalty for contempt of court?

What’s the penalty for contempt of court

Contempt of court is a legal proceeding that seeks to resolve matters in which a person has failed to meet the court’s requirements. If your ex is in violation of the law or the rulings of the court, you may have the legal right to pursue legal action.

Understanding the penalty for contempt of court is critical but complex. Each situation is vastly different. At The Shrable Law Firm, P.C., our attorney can answer all of your questions based on the way they relate to your case. We encourage you to schedule a consultation to discuss these concerns with us so you know what to expect moving forward.

penalty for contempt of court

What is contempt of court?

Before diving into the contempt of court child custody penalties or other forms of contempt of court, it is helpful to understand what this charge means. Contempt of court means that the person was, in some way, disobedient to the court. They may have been disrespectful or otherwise deceitful in their statements or actions. This is the type of behavior that is frowned upon in a court of law and often carries significant penalties with it. If the court’s ruling is not followed, a person could be found in contempt of court, meaning additional legal measures could be applied to the situation. 

What is the penalty for contempt of court?

Someone found in contempt of court will almost certainly face a monetary fine. The amount of the fine depends on whether the case is in Superior Court or State Court, so we can’t give you an exact number here.

There are some instances in which a judge could also order up to a 20-day jail time for being in contempt of court. However, there are situations where this rule is adjusted.

Here is an example. If a spouse does not pay their child support payments as they are required to do so, even though they have the financial means to do so, the court may take action to impose a contempt of court ruling on the individual. When it comes to contempt of court, child custody penalties, and related penalties could be for 20 days in jail or, in some cases, the court will subject them to a much longer stay in prison. Additional fines and penalties may apply based on the severity of the situation.

This contempt of court penalty is typically not what is levied. That is, the penalties for contempt of court tend to be just a fine, though the amount can differ from one area to the next. In family court, the judge may rule a person is in contempt for not making payment, but putting them in jail may not resolve the matter. For this reason, the court may decide on alternative measures to try to force payment or to levy punishment.

What should you do if a person is not meeting the court’s requirements?

Take the penalties for contempt of court seriously. The court can be aggressive in seeking legal action against a party that is responsible for contempt of court. If your ex owes you money or is otherwise in violation of the court’s ruling, contact your attorney for immediate help. The better documented the situation is, the better the long-term outcome for you.

Contact our family lawyer in Albany, GA, to learn more about your legal rights in this matter. The details of your case can be reviewed to determine what legal steps can be taken to resolve any implication on you or your child’s wellbeing. 

A contempt of court penalty is just one step in the legal process of getting an ex to maintain their legal responsibilities. Contact The Shrable Law Firm, P.C. now to set up a consultation to discuss your case. We are happy to answer your questions as you decide to work with us. Contact us now to get started in this legal matter.

Free Case Review

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Wrongful Death Claim


Accident victim passed away as a result of the combined carelessness of the driver or her vehicle and the driver of another vehicle.

More FAQ'S

Albany Office Address

Address : 127 N. Westover Blvd. Ste 3 Albany,
GA 31707

Phone: (229)-349-6291

reviews from our injury clients

Latest From Our Resources
Who pays for medical bills while my car accident case is pending? In Americus, Georgia, you are responsible for paying for your medical bills from car accident-related injuries while your case is pending, even if the accident wasn’t your fault. Although you are initially responsible for your medical costs after a car accident, you may get them covered by your health insurance, by your auto insurance, or you can ask the medical provider for financial assistance such as a payment plan or if they will work on a lien placed on your settlement or jury award.